What is the Fountain of Health?
The Fountain of Health Initiative (FoH) is a national non-profit promoting brain health and resilience for adults of all ages. The FoH offers practical, easy to use tools based on current scientific evidence to support brain health, wellbeing and resilience (the ability to bounce back under stress). We have tools that can be used by individuals, community groups and health providers.
Our Mission: The FoH aims to improve mental and physical wellbeing of adults across the lifespan. The FoH tools are designed to help Canadians maximize their health spans and minimize their disease spans so we live with as much wellness as possible, as long as possible!
We also offer community leadership, education and practical resources for clinicians by:
- Raising public awareness about the science of brain health, and practical steps that promote resilience, emotional wellbeing and health right across the adult lifespan.
- Developing clinical tools for health professionals to use with patients to promote changes in outlook and health behaviours. See Our People.
- Providing a Speakers’ Bureau of national experts on topics of resilience, emotional well-being and brain health. See Our People.
- Contributing to international research through the World Aging and Brain Health Institute, fostering collaborative research in optimal aging and brain health. See Our People.
- Providing international leadership in Positive Psychiatry through the World Psychiatric Association.
Is the Fountain of Health for You?
The FoH is for everyone-including you! The FoH targets the general public, no matter what age, cultural background or gender identity. For a healthier future, go to the main page to watch the FoH video, and Take the Quiz to find out where you are starting from. Then we invite you to visit the
Make it Your Own! section to jumpstart a personal health goal and try out our Wellness App. The FoH also aims to engage health care providers in evidence-based health promotion. FoH provides practical clinician tools to assist patients to set and meet health goals, for use in the busy office practice. Please visit Our People for more information.
The Fountain of Health was founded in 2010 by Dr. Keri-Leigh Cassidy, Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical Academic Director of the Geriatric Psychiatry Program at Dalhousie University in the Nova Scotia Health Authority. FoH is a pioneer initiative in Canada called “Positive Psychiatry” dedicated to the science and practice of promoting wellbeing across the lifespan. FoH was officially established as a national non-profit organization in 2017. To learn more, see Our People.
Why Nova Scotia?
Nova Scotia is an ideal place to offer leadership in long term health and resilience. Famous for having the highest ocean tides in the world, Nova Scotia also leads Canada's "rising tide" of population aging with the greatest percentage of older Canadians than any other province (20% over 65 years in 2017). Dalhousie University is home to world-class researchers in resilience, geriatrics, psychiatry, psychotherapy and health behavior change.
Nova Scotia: Highest Tides in the World
The Fountain of Health Initiative has evolved in phases over the past eight years as follows: