What is the Fountain of Health™?
The Fountain of Health™ initiative (FoH) is a national non-profit promoting brain health and resilience for adults of all ages. The Fountain of Health™ offers practical, easy to use tools based on current scientific evidence to support brain health, wellbeing and resilience (the ability to bounce back under stress). Our tools can be used by individuals, community groups and health providers.
Our Mission: The Fountain of Health™ aims to improve mental and physical wellbeing of adults across the lifespan. The Fountain of Health™ tools are designed to help Canadians maximize their health spans and minimize disease spans so we live with as much wellness as possible, as long as possible!
We also offer community leadership, education and practical resources for clinicians by:
- Raising public awareness about the science of brain health, and practical steps that promote resilience, emotional wellbeing and health right across the adult lifespan.
- Developing clinical tools for health professionals to use with patients to promote changes in outlook and health behaviours. See Clinicians' Corner.
- Providing a Speakers’ Bureau of national experts on topics of resilience, emotional well-being and brain health. See Speakers' Bureau.
- Contributing to international research through the World Aging and Brain Health Institute, fostering collaborative research in optimal aging and brain health. See Research.
- Providing international leadership in Positive Psychiatry through the World Psychiatric Association. See Research.
Is the Fountain of Health™ for You?
The Fountain of Health™ is for everyone -- including you! No matter what age, cultural background or gender identity, you are invited to Make it Your Own and jumpstart a personal health goal with The Wellness App. Fountain of Health™ also provides clinicians in frontline care the tools they need to help patients set and meet health goals. Please visit Our People
The Fountain of Health™ was founded in 2010 by Dr. Keri-Leigh Cassidy, Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical Academic Director of the Geriatric Psychiatry Program at Dalhousie University in the Nova Scotia Health Authority. The Fountain of Health™ is a pioneer initiative in Canada called “Positive Psychiatry” dedicated to the science and practice of promoting wellbeing across the lifespan. The Fountain of Health™ was established as a national non-profit organization in 2017. To learn more, see The Wellness Project page.
The Fountain of Health™ initiative has evolved in phases over the past eight years as follows: